How to: ADVANCED STAMPING TECHNIQUE

10:05:00

Hello everyone!


I've recieved a few questions about this technique on my Facebook page, so I decided to do a quick how to with pictures about the advanced stamping technique. So without further ado, let's get started!

You'll need:
- stamping plate of your choice (I used BornPretty L028 stamping plate)
- stamper
- scraper
- stamping polish of your choice (I used MDU black)
- any colored polish (I used China Glaze 2030, which is sadly discontinued - you can try China Glaze Passion)
- any top coat (I used Essence 2in1 Base&Top Coat)

- dotting tool (or a thin nail art brush)
- nail scissors (or cuticle nippers)
- tweezers

First, stamp your design on your stamper. I had the best results with my trusted Konad stamper - but I also managed with similar types of stampers I got off of eBay. I don't think this would work with squishy stampers, but if you give it a try, please let me know how it works. :)
Make sure you take a larger portion of the design than you think you'll actually need, so you have enough room when applying to your nails.


Next, deposit some colored polish on you plate or a piece of paper, and with the dotting tool color inside some or all of the empty space. Try not to color outside the lines, as it will make your job much easier later, when you're cutting the design. I only used gold, but you can definitely choose more colors if you like. It will make the design stand out even more.


After you let the colored polish dry for a little bit (I like to leave mine for about 10 minutes to avoid smudging), it's time to apply a top coat over the design. It's crucial that you apply a generous amount of top coat with minimal pressure on the brush - again, it will prevent the design from smudging. After some trial and error I found softly gliding over the design works best.
If you double or triple stamp like I did on the hot pink stamper, make sure each design has an individual layer of top coat with enough space in between. Leave to dry for additional 10-15 minutes.


To check if your top coat is completely dry, apply light pressure on it with your finger - if it leaves no trace, you're good to go!
Peel the image off gently with your tweezers, or squeeze the stamper at the edges (like I did on the second picture below), and the image will pop right off.


Next comes the tricky part - put the image on each nail (obviously the one for your pinky finger will be the smallest, and the one for your thumb the biggest), and try to assess how much you need to cut off. I suggest going slowly, so you don't cut off too much and have to start again.
Leave a bit of border between your stamp and the edges of your nails, so that you can successfully apply top coat over the stamp in the end. You don't want it sticking out, as it will lift and tear off.


When you're happy with the position of all the designs, apply a top coat over your entire nail, and enjoy your new manicure!


To finish off, here are a few useful tips:

- make sure the image you select has a clean, full border
- you can use these stamps over normal or gel polish (I used them with Shellac, and they stayed on perfectly)
- you don't need a sticky layer to put these on - I would advise against it even, since you won't be able to reposition the stamp several times
- I found two thin layers of top coat over the stamp and entire nail at the end work best
- cheap nail polishes are great for this, so you don't need to spend a ton of money - if anything, consider buying a few good stamping polishes (check this awesome blog post by Copycat Claws to learn more)
- don't rush the process, leave each layer of polish to dry completely

And you're ready for action! If you try this amazing technique, please link your photos in the comments below! <3

Have fun creating,

- Maja

You Might Also Like

0 komentarji

Opomba: Komentarje lahko objavljajo le člani tega spletnega dnevnika.

Subscribe